While I’m waiting for the computer to crunch through some other work…
- It’s been a while since I looked at 2Slick. He’s got an older post quoting Lt Gen Petraeus that is worth looking at with observations like “Act quickly, because every Army of liberation has a half-life.“.
- Pixy links to a movie called “Obsession” on Google Video that I would look at later but have not yet. Subject line: Islamists.
- The Armchair Generalist reviews the new Zinni book. The review (and the commenters on the post) think that Zinni’s channeling Thomas Barnett, or at least read one of Barnett’s books. The Generalist points out that building something like a Genocide Prevention Corps or SysAdmin or Zinni’s “National Monitoring and Planning Center” is a larger organizational change than was Goldwater-Nichols, and thus will be difficult to implement. I also noticed that the solution Zinni posits, as described by the Generalist, sounds awfully DoD-centric. (I haven’t been in complete agreement with Zinni for a couple of years, so this might be worth reading.)
- Speaking of Barnett, here’s his latest column. I’ll be darned if I can figure out why “equilibrium” is a good thing–and it sure sounds like Scowcroftesque “stability”, which I consider a nonstarter. I also don’t see a problem with the US continuing to be more powerful economically or militarily, which makes this column a bit silly to me. But there’s the link–you make the call.
- B3ta’s been digging into the YouTube a little too much. One of the more pixilated videos is here.
- Chaotic Synaptic’s new place is a new, clean design.
- The Doc is spending his anniversary in the Box. Drop him some deployed commenting love, willya? (Which reminds me: went to the yuppie grocery store again today, and complimented the early-twentyish girl at the counter on her new tat. New tat was a writeover, as she had her husband’s name on it, and the new tat we hadn’t seen was “Never” on one inner wrist and “Again” on the other. This is in Omaha, mind you. Now tell me tattoos aren’t mainstream.)
- A wonderful extracted comment from a polemic that needed written, over at Galley Slaves. The movie discussed is pretty lame indeed.
- Professor Dauber’s been on fire this week, including this zinger and…never mind. Just keep scrolling.
- This blogfight won’t register on Allah’s Top Ten, but it is pretty sad. Not really worth the click; but I typed this anyway.
- Tammi’s going on tour.Â Hope she gets her trackbacks fixed by the time she comes back, though…
- Jason van Steenwyk thinks bonds are bottomed, agreeing with this guy.Â Could be, or at least some of the cash sitting in our money market after getting out of First Command could go to a bond index.
- A profile of Walid Jumblatt from the Wall Street Journal.
7 Responses to “Link Dump 30 July”
Trackback URL for Link Dump 30 July: