Enrevanche preaches from the Gospel of St. Andrew of the Blessed Heartache:
Mr. Bush has done more damage to the Republican Party and the conservative movement in general than many conservatives are yet prepared to accept and acknowledge.
Wouldn’t know about that, much, myself, but the John Fund article to which Enrevanche links is an article which laments the ability of the CinC to channel the oratory of Winston Churchill on a regular basis, and decries that Rs get no slack. Not exactly a damage assessment for the “conservative movement in general”.
And by the way… when the Wall Street Journal turns on you, and you’re a Republican president, your relevance is officially over.
One of the things I like about the WSJ is that they publish op-eds with different viewpoints. Would the Ned Lamont op-ed a few weeks back, or the Kerry op-ed before that, have similar portent? Or is Andrew hogging the coffee again?
If you haven’t followed any of my posting in ’04 or cheerleading of the book The Case For Democracy, then perhaps this next link is worth your time.
Norman Podhoretz, the next day or so, same paper. Makes a point to discuss the Second Inaugural, to which I point to people at work who haven’t yet read the National Security Strategy. Some commentary on the Podhoretz article is at Protein Wisdom. I’m not sure how that exactly affects the President’s “relevance” to have Podhoretz’s article a day after the Fund article.
Of course, you could also listen to the president saying it his own self.
Related links, sorta, to this discussion. Almost all are from the center-right to Ralph end of the spectrum; I’ve not seen much on the left discussing these things strategically and would take inputs if you got ‘em. This week saw a lot of people discussing Israel-Lebanon, writing about how will is important in warfare. You could read Ralph or you could read Belmont Club; either remind us that if you’re going to knife someone to death, you don’t stop halfway.
- Kathleen Parker revises and extends Fund’s points.
- Power Line reminds us that personal charisma is also important.
- Bruce Bartlett, saying the opposite as Fund in a slightly related op-ed
- Rich Lowry, saying I’m gonna miss the current policy when it’s gone
- Shelby Steele on Western guilt vs. Islamic extremism (excerpts here since it’s subscriber only)
- Zalmay Khalilzad on what’s going on in Iraq
- General Abizaid on what’s going on in Iraq, via Hugh Hewitt
- Thomas Sowell on what’s going on bigger picture
- Edward Luttwak on what IS-LE means in the long term, the first guy I’ve seen writing about long term
- Ralph Peters on the current IS-LE state of play
- Belmont Club on will to win, Keyser Soze, and a parable in the comments
That should get you through ten minutes of boredom…
19 Responses to “A Response To An Andrew Sullivan Fan Club Member”
Trackback URL for A Response To An Andrew Sullivan Fan Club Member: